Junior Librarian – EMBL Job Opportunities
|Staff Category:||Staff member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||4 or 5; depending on qualification and experience|
|Closing Date:||7 July 2016|
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK) and Monterotondo (Italy)
The EMBL Szilard Library is an academic research library with a strong orientation in digital functions; it maintains a rich collection in the field of Life Sciences and serves the scientific community and the administrative staff of EMBL.
We are looking for a librarian who will be responsible for managing essential Library services. The successful candidate’s main areas of accountability will be:
- Dealing with users’ enquiries.
- Acquisitions, cataloguing of resources and collection development.
- Supporting and enhancing the Library’s ILS (Inmagic Genie) and discovery tool (VUfind)
- Keeping up-to-date with latest developments; particularly IT.
- Assisting the metadata quality control in EMBL’s CRIS (Converis).
- Promoting the Library services to the EMBL community.
- Contributing to the development of library and information strategic plans.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate must have:
- A degree in Library or Information Science and/or at least 2 years working experience in a Library or a related environment.
- Cataloguing experience is essential.
- Strong IT skills (xml, php) and experience in working with Databases will be an asset.
- Interest in the dynamic field of Open Science.
- A very good command of English.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with attention to detail.
Please apply online through
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.