|Staff Category:||Staff member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||4, 5 or 6; depending on qualification and experience|
|Closing Date:||28 February 2017|
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK) and Monterotondo (Italy)
The EMBL Szilard Library is an academic research library with a strong orientation in digital functions; it maintains a rich collection in the field of Life Sciences and serves the scientific community and the administrative staff of EMBL.
We are looking for a librarian who will be responsible for managing essential Library services. The successful candidate’s main areas of accountability will be:
- Organisation, development, cataloging and classification of library resources.
- Assisting users and dealing with inquiries.
- Manage and organise the library area; furniture and equipment.
- Promote the library collection and services; develop and deliver library induction sessions and training.
- Liaise with admin and scientific staff, external bodies and suppliers.
- Contribute to the development of library and information strategic plans.
- Anticipate community needs and trends to improve library services.
- Keep up-to-date with relevant Information Technology developments.
- Maintenance and development of library systems (ILS, discovery tool).
- Support and promote the institutional Open Access policy.
- Publication management and metadata curation (CRIS).
- Assist in other library related tasks as appointed.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Library and Information science and/ or min. two years of experience in libraries or related environment.
- Background in Life Sciences (esp. in molecular biology) will be considered an advantage.
- Experience in cataloging is necessary.
- Strong IT skills (experience in programming) will be considered an advantage.
- Working knowledge of English is necessary. Working knowledge of German will be considered an advantage.
- Proactive, flexible and self-motivated.
- Team worker with good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good organisational, planning and prioritisation skills, including the ability to work to deadlines and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Willingness to keep up to date with changes in the profession and technological advances.
- Interest in the Open Science movement.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs.
For any questions regarding the position please contact Ioanna Ydraiou (firstname.lastname@example.org).
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.